Treats Periodontal Disease from the INSIDE Out
- PERIOSTAT is a medical-breakthrough treatment for adult periodontal disease, commonly referred to a gum disease.
- First & Only FDA-approved medication used in conjunction with dental cleanings to treat periodontitis.
- Dental cleanings alone just work from the Outside In. Periostat works from the Inside Out!
- Convenient oral 20mg capsule.
- STOPS the progression of periodontal disease.
- Similar safety profile as placebo
The Whole Mouth Treatment for Adult Periodontitis: PERIOSTAT + professional dental cleanings. Improves upon the standard therapy by treating the whole mouth at once.
Periostat is a medical breakthrough treatment for adult periodontal disease, commonly referred to as gum disease. Gingivitis is the early stages of periodontal disease, while periodontitis is more advanced. Periodontitis is caused by multiple factors. It is initiated by the formation of bacteria and plaque. But, the destruction and loss of teeth is due to the tissue-destroying collagenase enzymes produced by the body.
Periostat is the FIRST and ONLY FDA-approved oral medication used in conjunction with scaling and root planing(SRP) at your dentist’s office to treat periodontitis. SRP is a mechanical procedure to remove the bacteria around the teeth structure. In contrast, Periostat suppresses the overproduction of tissue-destroying enzymes that breakdown the bone and gum structure.
Periodontal disease starts out with mild, reversible gum inflammation, gingivitis, characterized by plaque build-up and gum bleeding. If left untreated, gingivitis progresses to sever gum disease with tooth loss.
IMPORTANT WARNING: Do NOT take Periostat if you are Pregnant or breast feeding!
IMPORTANT WARNING: Do NOT take Periostat if you are allergic to DOXYCYCLINE, TETRACYCLINE, and other common antibiotics!
IMPORTANT WARNING: Do NOT take Periostat if you are taking blood thinning medication
IMPORTANT WARNING: Do NOT take Periostat if you are have kidney or liver disease.
IMPORTANT WARNING: Periostat may make birth control pills less effective. IF ON THE PILL USE ADDITIONAL FORM OF CONTRACEPTION WHILE ON PERIOSTAT
MEDICAL WELLNESS CENTER PROVIDES:
- The easiest, most CONVENIENT, and DISCREET way to receive medical treatment for your most private health needs – All from the PRIVACY and comfort of your home or office!
- No waiting rooms, No embarrassment, No high fees!
- NO-RISK Online Physician Evaluation. Learn if Periostat is for you.
- If approved, the Physician Consultation fee is only $49.95 plus processing. You will be issued a Periostat prescription with six additional refills without any further consultation fees.
- Do NOT be fooled by sites that offer free doctor consultation and require medication purchse.
- Prescription Purchase NOT REQUIRED. You choose most any local US pharmacy of your choice to fill your prescription! The prescription can not be filled at an online internet pharmacy, a .COM version of a local pharmacy, or at a foreign or Canadian pharmacy. Choose a local United States pharmacy that accepts your insurance coverage.
- If you choose EXPRESS service, your Periostat prescription will be be called into a local US pharmacy of your choice in approximately 24 hours or less.
- If Periostat is not for you, the visit is FREE.
HOW TO REQUEST A PHYSICIAN CONSULTATION FOR A PERIOSTAT PRESCRIPTION:
- First read about Periostat to learn more about its indications and contraindications.
- If you do not have any of the contraindications, next read and agree to the Waiver of Liability.
- Next, accurately and truthfully complete and submit a medical consultation questionnaire.
- Your medical consultation will be reviewed by one of our Physicians. If approved, you will be issued a prescription for Periostat with six additional refills for treatment.
- You can fill your prescription at most any local US pharmacy of your choice. The prescription can not be filled at an online or internet pharmacy, a .COM version of a local pharmacy, a foreign or Canadian pharmacy.
- If you desire EXPRESS service your prescription will be called into a local US pharmacy of your choice within approximately 24 hours.
- The physician evaluation is RISK-FREE. If Periostat is not appropriate for you there is NO charge.
- If you have any health concerns in any way, you should contact your own physician for further advice.
WHAT IS PERIODONTITIS?
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR PERIOSTAT?
Adult periodontal disease is the most common cause of adult tooth loss affecting over 50 million people in the United States. In its earliest stages, periodontal disease begins as an inflammation of the gums known as gingivitis. If left untreated, gingivitis progresses to periodontitis, the number one cause of tooth loss in adults.
Although periodontal disease is initiated by bacterial infection, the ultimate destruction and tooth loss is due to the body’s own overproduction of tissue-destroying collagenase enzymes. Periostat suppresses the production of these enzymes.
PERIOSTAT is indicated in those diagnosed with mild-to-moderate or severe periodontitis who are not responding to conventional professional dental cleaning and scaling/root planing procedures. Periostat is not indicated for those with early periodontal disease known as gingivitis, a reversible inflammation of the gums.
If your gum disease is not improving or is progressing despite regular visits to you dentist for routine cleaning and scaling, Periostat may be the answer. Medical Wellness Center offers an easy, convenient, and safe way to add Periostat to your treatment regimen without time-consuming and costly doctor visits.
Gingivitis is an inflammation of gums and the earliest stages of periodontal disease. Daily a clear sticky film called plaque made up of bacteria builds up on the surface of the teeth. Plaque is easily removed by brushing & flossing. If plaque is allowed to build up it comes in contact with the gum tissue and the gums become red and inflamed and may bleed when you brush your teeth. Gingivitis is reversible through professional cleaning by your dental professional and daily dental hygiene. If left untreated it can progress to periodontitis and tooth loss.
If the plaque is not removed, it hardens into deposits called tartar which cannot be removed by just brushing and flossing but needs to be mechanically removed by your dental profession in a procedure called scaling and root planing during routine dental cleanings. These hard tartar deposits and their associated bacteria cause a severe inflammation and the body responds trying to fight the infection by produced tissue-destroying enzymes, collagenases. These enzymes made by your own body end up attacking your body’s own tissue destroying gums, ligaments and bones that support your teeth and eventually result in tooth loss.
If left untreated periodontitis progresses due to the chronic, long-term nature of the bacterial infection and the tissue-destroying enzyme body response. These enzymes start to eat at the ligaments and bones that support the teeth. First, a small “pocket” forms between the tooth and the gums where food can lodge and bacteria live and this process progresses down the tooth surface which results in the pockets getting deeper and deeper. Your dentist using a probe and with X-rays determines how deep the tooth pockets are and how advanced the disease is.
If left untreated, periodontal disease progresses to the point where bone loss is so severe that the tooth becomes loose and eventually lost. However, even severe periodontitis can respond to aggressive treatment: combination of professional dental cleaning with scaling and root planing (SRP) which mechanically removes bacteria combined with PERIOSTAT which inhibits the your body’s response of producing tissue-destroying enzymes that ultimately results in tissue destruction and tooth loss. Periostat plus professional dental cleanings & SRP is more effective in treating and halting the progression of periodontitis than just cleanings alone.
Until the approval of PERIOSTAT, the first-line therapy for periodontitis has primarily been scaling and root planing dental cleanings (SRP). Now for the first time there is an FDA-approved safe way to treat the body’s own host response overproduction of enzymes. Periostat compliments SRP by reducing the activity of these tissue-destroying enzymes. Clinical studies have shown that Periostat in combination with SRP is more effective in treating adult periodontitis that SRP alone. Therefore the treatment of periodontitis involves a two-pronged approach: reducing bacteria around the teeth by routine dental cleanings (SRP), and reducing the activity of the tissue-destroying enzymes released in the gum tissue with Periostat.
If you have been diagnosed as suffering from periodontal disease despite regular visits to your dental professional, you can add Periostat to your regular routine dental hygiene.
REDUCE YOUR RISK OF PERIODONTAL DISEASE
- Prevent the disease from getting started by brushing and flossing twice daily to prevent plaque formation and buildup.
- Visit your dental professional regularly, at least every 6 months, for professional cleanings.
- If you have been diagnosed with periodontal disease follow your dentist’s instructions, daily hygiene, and regular visits.
- If your periodontal disease is not responding to professional dental cleanings and daily hygiene alone, you may qualify to add Periostat to your daily regimen.
- Periostat has been shown to help treat and stop the progression of periodontal disease.
- Periostat is to be used following scaling and root planing done during routine professional dental cleanings to improve the effectiveness of this standard procedure.
- Periostat is taken for a period of up to 9 consecutive months and improvement should start to be noticed by the third month.
- In order for Periostat to be effective, one must continue with good oral and dental hygiene: regular flossing and brushing of teeth to remove bacteria and any plaque buildup and routine dental visits for professional cleaning.
- Periostat does NOT take the place of good oral hygiene and regular visits to your dentist.
WHAT IS PERIOSTAT?
PERIOSTAT (doxycycline hyclate, 20 mg capsules) is a new medical breakthrough treatment for adult periodontitis. Periostat is the FIRST & ONLY FDA-approved prescription medication which modulates host response by reducing the activity of tissue-destroying enzymes released in the gum tissue without affecting bacteria. Periostat is NOT an antibiotic. When Periostat is used along with scaling and planing (SRP) procedures during routine dental cleanings at your dentist, Periostat slows the progression of adult periodontitis. Periostat is NOT an antibiotic and has NO detectable effect on bacteria. The therapeutic effect of Periostat is due to its anticollegenase and anti-inflammatory properties and not to an antibacterial effect. Although the active ingredient, doxycycline hyclate, is used to treat bacterial infections, the dosage of doxycycline in Periostat is much too low to kill bacteria. Antibiotic dosages of doxycycline are only used short periods of 10-14 days versus Periostat which is proven safe & effective for up to nine months.
WHAT IS PERIODONTITIS ?
Periodontal disease affects the gingiva (gums), periodontal ligament, alveolar bone and tooth support structures. The two major forms of periodontal disease are gingivitis and periodontitis. Gingivitis is a reversible condition involving gingival inflammation. In contrast, periodontitis involves gingival inflammation along with loss of tooth attachment caused by the destruction of the periodontal ligament and alveolar bone. Periodontitis is due to many factors and its severity is determined by a complex interaction between tissue-destroying enzymes and bacteria. Although pathogenic bacteria in the gums are necessary for periodontitis, they alone are not sufficient for the progression of the disease. The body’s own immune response of producing tissue-destroying enzymes plays a big factor in determining the severity of periodontitis. The end result of the interaction between the bacteria and tissue-destroying enzyme response is the destruction of bone and soft tissue.
HOW DOES PERIOSTAT WORK TO TREAT PERIODONTITIS?
Until PERIOSTAT the treatment of periodontitis only addressed the bacterial component of the disease by the scaling and root planing (SRP) procedure sometimes supplemented by antimicrobial drugs. PERIOSTAT is a medical breakthrough because it stops the tissue-destroying enzyme response from destroying the bone and gums. Periostat works by blocking tissue-destroying enzymes which are over-produced by the body’s immune system in people with periodontitis. Periostat 20 mg capsules are taken twice a day and it is absorbed from the small intestine into the blood stream. Periostat travels to the gum and bone tissues around the teeth where it prevents the gum enzymes from breaking down the gum and bone tissue around the teeth. This allows the body to repair and rebuild the damaged tissue. This process works most effectively after the bacteria laden plaque and calculus, which help trigger the release of these tissue-destroying enzymes, have been removed from your teeth by your dental professional during routine dental cleanings and scaling and root planing (SRP). Research has shown that Periostat in conjunction with SRP significantly helps stop the progress of periodontal disease than just scaling and root planing alone.
HOW DO I KNOW IF PERIOSTAT THERAPY IS RIGHT FOR ME?
If your dental health professional has diagnosed you with mild-to-moderate or severe periodontitis, Periostat may be right for you. If routine dental cleanings alone is not improving your condition, the addition of Periostat may help to halt the progression and improve the health of your gums and teeth. Periostat must be taken in conjunction with routine dental visits during which time scaling and root planing is performed to remove plaque, calculus and bacteria.
CAN PERIOSTAT BE TAKEN WITH OTHER PRESCRIPTION OR OVER-THE-COUNTER DRUGS?
Periostat can be taken safely with most medications except blood thinners such as Coumadin. Periostat may make birth control pills less effective. There is a very small risk that you could become pregnant taking Periostat and birth control pills and therefore should also use another type of birth control while taking Periostat. Over-the-counter medications such as aluminum containing antacids, calcium, magnesium and Pepto-Bismol as well as products containing iron will decrease the absorption of Periostat. Therefore if you take an of these products, you should take them at least 3 to 4 hours before or after you take Periostat.
WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG DO I USE PERIOSTAT?
Periostat 20mg capsule is taken twice a day, at least one hour before your morning and evening meal on an empty stomach with at least 8 ounces of water. Periostat must be taken with water and you must not eat for at least one to two hours. Do not take Periostat with milk. There should be approximately 12 hours between doses. Do not lie down right after taking Periostat as it may not get into your stomach and can cause irritation to the lining of the food canal. Periostat has been shown to be safe and effective for up to 9 months of continuous use. The amount of time you take Periostat differs for each person depending on the severity of the gum disease and the time needed for the body’s healing process to take place.
HOW LONG BEFORE I SEE RESULTS?
Periostat reduces the host response production of tissue-destroying enzymes. When used in conjunction with routine professional dental cleanings, Periostat allows the body to begin healing itself. Therefore, it takes time for improvement in your damaged gums and bone tissue to become apparent. You can start to notice some improvement with decreased gum bleeding in about 3 months.
WHILE TAKING PERIOSTAT CAN I USE TANNING BEDS OR SUNBATHE?
When on Periostat, you can develop a photosensitive reaction if you spend time in the sun or use tanning beds: the sun exposed skin will burn more easily. This photosensitivity does not occur with everyone. Therefore, when taking Periostat it is advisable to take proper precautions to protect sun exposed skin using sunblock, hats etc. If while on Periostat, you develop a photoreaction on your skin, stop taking Periostat, avoid sun exposure (stop using tanning beds) and consult your own doctor regarding a possible photosensitivity reaction.
WHAT IF I MISS A PERIOSTAT DOSE?
If you miss a Periostat dose, just resume taking the next scheduled dosage. Do NOT double-up on doses to make up for a missed dose. There should be about 12 hours between doses and each dose should be taken on an empty stomach an hour before meals
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS of PERIOSTAT ?
In medical studies, patients taking Periostat 20 mg capsules as directed had no more side effects than those taking placebo. The most common reports of side effect are nausea or upset stomach. If you experience such make sure you take the Periostat with a full 8 oz glass of WATER!
WHO SHOULD NOT USE PERIOSTAT?
Do NOT use PERIOSTAT if you are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant, or breast feeding.
Do NOT take PERIOSTAT if you are allergic or have hypersensitivity to any of the tetracyclines or any other antibiotic.
Do NOT take PERIOSTAT if you have kidney or liver problems or are on anticoagulant therapy (blood thinners).
We will not prescribe PERIOSTAT to anyone under the age of 18.
In order to proceed to the medical consultation, you must go to the next section and read the complete list of contraindications. Then you must verify that you do not have any of the contraindications, you are not pregnant and are not breast feeding.
Before Proceeding to the Medical Consultation Form please read
CONTRAINDICATIONS, PRECAUTIONS and WARNINGS
and accept the Waiver of Liability
Anyone with the following conditions or taking the following medications should not take PERIOSTAT:
- Do not take Periostat if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant as Periostat(doxycycline) can cause fetal harm. Periostat crosses the placenta and can result in abnormal bone development!
- Do not take Periostat if you are breastfeeding!
- Do not take Periostat if you are allergic or hypersensitive to any of the tetracyclines or any other antibiotic!
- Do not take Periostat if you are on anticoagulant therapy, blood thinning medications, such as Coumadin, Warfarin, Heparin etc.
- Do not take Periostat if you have Kidney or Liver disease: renal function abnormalities, impaired renal function, renal failure, renal disease or liver function abnormalities, liver disease, hepatitis or any other medical disorder of liver function including but not limited to cirrhosis of the liver, liver cancer, jaundice etc. If you have any questions about your medical condition, consult your primary care physician and/or dental professional before taking Periostat.
- Do not take Periostat if you have a predisposition or history of frequent oral candidiasis (thrush). The safety and effectiveness of Periostat has not been established in patients with coexistent oral candidiasis
- Periostat and the general anesthetic Penthrane (methoxy-fluorane) can result in kidney failure and death (Penthrane is no longer used in humans in the United States).
- Periostat is not approved for pediatric use and is contraindicated in anyone under age 18.
WARNINGS & PRECAUTIONS:
- Periostat may make birth control pills (oral contraceptives) less effective and you may become pregnant! Periostat can be harmful to the fetus. While taking Periostat, you MUST use another form of birth control along with your birth control pills to prevent pregnancy.
- Absorption of Periostat is reduced by taking aluminum containing antacids, calcium, magnesium, iron, and Pepto-Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate). Therefore if you take any of these products, you should take them at least three hours before or three hours after you take Periostat. If you take vitamins, do not take them at the same time as Periostat. Vitamins should be taken at least 3 to 4 hours before or after taking Periostat.
- Periostat is best taken on an empty stomach with a full glass (8 ounces) of WATER one or two hours before or after a meal. Do NOT take Periostat with milk it must be WATER. Dairy products including milk may reduce the absorption of Periostat and should be avoided for at least one hour before or after taking Periostat.
- If you sunbathe or use tanning beds, exercise caution while on Periostat. Periostat can make some people more sensitive to the sun and you may develop a photosensitive reaction: the sun-exposed skin sunburns more easily and severely than usual. If taking Periostat and you notice a burning or reddening of your skin, you should STOP taking Periostat and avoid further sun exposure and discontinue tanning beds and advise your doctor of this possible photosensitivity reaction.
In clinical studies Periostat has a similar incidence of side effects as those taking placebo (inactive pills). Infrequently there have been reports of nausea or stomach upstet. If you experience such make sure you take the Periostat with a full 8 oz glass of WATER! Also, do not lay down immediately after taking Periostat to be sure that the capsule gets into your stomach.
IMPORTANT PATIENT INFORMATION:
While on Periostat treatment it is crucial to continue with your regular dental hygiene regimen. Periostat is only effect if taken as an adjunct combined with routine professional dental cleaning scaling and root planing performed regularly by your dental professional. It is important to brush your teeth, tongue and floss twice daily.
Periostat inhibits the body’s own overproduction of tissue-destroying enzymes made in response to the build up of bacteria and plaque on the teeth. Therefore, it takes at least 3 months of treatment before you can start to see some improvement and the gums and dental structures start to heal themselves. Depending on the severity of your periodontal disease, Periostat may be taken for up to 9 consecutive months to get maximal benefit.
Always take Periostat on an empty stomach with a full 8 ounce glass of WATER. Take your Periostat capsule twice a day separated by approximately 12 hours. Do not eat for at least one hour before or after taking Periostat. Do not take aluminum containing antacids, calcium, magnesium, iron or vitamins for at least 3 hours before or after taking Periostat. To prevent any possible irritation to the lining of your food canal from your mouth to the stomach, do not lie down immediately after taking Periostat. Only take your Periostat capsule while standing or sitting to ensure capsule gets to your stomach.
I DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THE ABOVE CONTRAINDICATIONS:
In order for Medical Wellness Center Physicians to provide you with the best care you need to reply honesty to all questions and you need to understand any and all risks and side effects associated with Periostat
By accepting “I Agree” means that you have read the above contraindication and warnings and honestly acknowledge that you do not have any of the above contraindications to Periostat therapy. Also, that I am aware that I need to inform my doctor and dental professional that I am taking Periostat.